Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A hug and a kiss?

So after much angst and delay...I finally defended my proposal. I am not sure how it went. It wasn't good...wasn't bad...but it was. One of my committee members is a revered obstetrician. She mainly just told me...she wants me to be more ambitious. She had some critique, some suggestions but her overall tone was that she felt I could do something better. I was flattered and pissed at the same time. I didn't know what to think. I kept saying to myself as I waited,"If I have to change this shit I'm gonna cry!" I waited for about 25 mins as they deliberated. When the door opened, they emerged with coats on and she was like "I have to go." Then the unthinkable happened. She hugged me, and cheek kissed me saying "Congrats!" I was so confused! A hug and kiss in academia? From the woman who has made me feel a little inadequate at times? WTF was going on? It's a whole 24 hrs later and I am still confused. I don't know if it was a general good job embrace, or an "I'm gonna dig in your ass" Judas styled kiss. I dunno. But what I do know is that I'm a candidate now!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! Aren't advisors great? They love to walk that line between tearing you down and making you swell with pride.

    ReplyDelete