Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Relationships and PhDs

So I have a great boyfriend. He gets on my nerves, but he is really a good guy. We have two main problems, but thankfully these problems are only centered around US. I don't worry about him messing around or anything, and trust me it is a great feeling. But last week I was reading material for my certification program and it said "Limiting yourself to one geographic region severely decreases your chances of finding faculty appointment. You may need to live a part for a few years." So of course, the first thing I said was, "hell nah! Same state or break-up." Then I really got scared like, what if I can't find a job in this area?" I really started to panic. So I immediately started to say to myself, "this is why it is best to be single while you do this." But then, just as I thought this, he texted me saying, "I wish that I could help you with your work and make things easier for you, you can do it." This made me feel better. While it may be easier in terms of accepting positions all over the country, you really do need someone to support you during this process. Our phone conversations, dates, hanging out and supportive texts do make things easier. But, being in a relationship while doing this is also very hard, especially when they aren't doing it as well. This isnt the kind of job that ends when you get home. Most of the time, that's where it begins. Sometimes I want to go home & sulk in housecoat, but he wants me to be sexy and pop it for a goon. IT IS HARD. But, I know there are much more difficult things in life. I just have to find a balance. It starts with adhering to a schedule, which I can't seem to do. But it'll be okay sooner, rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment