Thursday, January 5, 2012

My Research Brings All the Boys to the Yard???

As a doctoral student, conferences are one of the most important academic events *coughsvacationscoughs* that one can go to. Aside from using it as a forum to gain experience in presenting your research, it is also a great networking event. You meet a variety of researchers in the field and conversations usually begin with the exchange of name, school, dept, research interests etc. This usually leads to a deep discussion about research, exchange of cards and light hearted talks of collaborations. But of course for me, this whole exchange is different. To begin, I am usually asked if I am a grad student; which I find extremely annoying and offensive because this is usually implied. Then after looking me up and down, discussing my research and being in awe that someone with red lipstick and polish is actually smart, I get asked out for drinks. Now, some would say, "well what do you expect?" While I can not knock the men for trying, it is extremely uncomfortable situation. Part of my personal mantra is to debunk the myth that female professors/researchers are unattractive, asexual creatures. Thus, it is important to me that I stay cute. However, it is also important to me that I be taken seriously. While asking me out for a drink does not imply that I am seen as a joke, it still does not make it any less uncomfortable. But I won't complain, I guess it's these proc freqs and multi-level analyses that got these mofos going wild. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment